What is involved in Business Architecture
Find out what the related areas are that Business Architecture connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business Architecture thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Enterprise Business Architecture journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Enterprise Business Architecture leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business Architecture related domains to cover and 140 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business Architecture, Architectural domain, Best practice, Business Motivation Model, Business Process Framework, Business Process Management, Business Process Modeling Notation, Business architect, Business model, Business strategy, Capability management in business, Commercial off-the-shelf, Decision Model and Notation, Enterprise architecture, Enterprise architecture framework, Gerrit Versteeg, Model Driven Architecture, OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group, OMG Business Architecture Working Group, Object Management Group, Open standard, Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules, Supply-Chain Operations Reference, TM Forum, The Open Group, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Value Stream, View model, Zachman Framework:
Business Architecture Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Business Architecture tactics and adopt an insight outlook.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Business Architecture processes?
– How can you negotiate Business Architecture successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Is a Business Architecture Team Work effort in place?
Architectural domain Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Architectural domain management and pioneer acquisition of Architectural domain systems.
– Does Business Architecture systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Can we do Business Architecture without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Does the Business Architecture task fit the clients priorities?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Review Best practice engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Best practice projects.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Business Architecture project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Business Architecture project lifecycle?
– What standards, guidelines, best practices, and tools are organizations using to understand, measure, and manage risk at the management, operational, and technical levels?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Business Architecture been identified and analyzed?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– What are some best practices for implementing an air gap in a our setting?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Business Motivation Model Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Business Motivation Model failures and research ways can we become the Business Motivation Model company that would put us out of business.
– Is the Business Architecture organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Is Business Architecture dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Focus on Business Process Framework visions and arbitrate Business Process Framework techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business Architecture project?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business Architecture project manager?
– Does Business Architecture analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Business Process Management Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Business Process Management risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Business Process Management projects.
– How do we know that any Business Architecture analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What vendors make products that address the Business Architecture needs?
– What are the barriers to increased Business Architecture production?
Business Process Modeling Notation Critical Criteria:
Chart Business Process Modeling Notation management and oversee Business Process Modeling Notation requirements.
– Do we have past Business Architecture Successes?
Business architect Critical Criteria:
Gauge Business architect visions and ask questions.
– For your Business Architecture project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What is the difference between a Business Architect and a Business Analyst?
– How can the value of Business Architecture be defined?
Business model Critical Criteria:
Shape Business model adoptions and integrate design thinking in Business model innovation.
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– How can we take rapid and informed action given the dramatic changes the IoT will make to our traditional business models?
– What applications will first become mainstream and under which business model will they operate?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Business Architecture with what users do day-to-day?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business Architecture forward?
– How well does the product fit our current and planned business model(s)?
– What potential megatrends could make our business model obsolete?
– How can skill-level changes improve Business Architecture?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Use past Business strategy outcomes and plan concise Business strategy education.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Business Architecture goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– Are assumptions made in Business Architecture stated explicitly?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Capability management in business Critical Criteria:
Consult on Capability management in business governance and look at it backwards.
– What is the purpose of Business Architecture in relation to the mission?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Business Architecture?
Commercial off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Commercial off-the-shelf engagements and describe the risks of Commercial off-the-shelf sustainability.
– In the case of a Business Architecture project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Business Architecture project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Business Architecture project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Is sufficient schedule time allocated to allow for dependencies on commercial off-the-shelf cots product deliveries?
– Why are Business Architecture skills important?
– What is our Business Architecture Strategy?
Decision Model and Notation Critical Criteria:
Discuss Decision Model and Notation governance and interpret which customers can’t participate in Decision Model and Notation because they lack skills.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Business Architecture workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are there recognized Business Architecture problems?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Adapt Enterprise architecture tactics and probe the present value of growth of Enterprise architecture.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What are our needs in relation to Business Architecture skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business Architecture requirements in detail?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Enterprise architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Enterprise architecture framework projects and mentor Enterprise architecture framework customer orientation.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Business Architecture?
Gerrit Versteeg Critical Criteria:
Categorize Gerrit Versteeg outcomes and report on developing an effective Gerrit Versteeg strategy.
– Who will provide the final approval of Business Architecture deliverables?
Model Driven Architecture Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Model Driven Architecture planning and tour deciding if Model Driven Architecture progress is made.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business Architecture processes of our organization?
– Does Business Architecture appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– What are the long-term Business Architecture goals?
OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group Critical Criteria:
Revitalize OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group leadership and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business Architecture experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Business Architecture is underway?
OMG Business Architecture Working Group Critical Criteria:
Detail OMG Business Architecture Working Group quality and shift your focus.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Business Architecture models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Are accountability and ownership for Business Architecture clearly defined?
Object Management Group Critical Criteria:
Refer to Object Management Group adoptions and gather practices for scaling Object Management Group.
– Why should we adopt a Business Architecture framework?
Open standard Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Open standard outcomes and look at the big picture.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Business Architecture products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business Architecture effort?
– How much does Business Architecture help?
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules results and oversee Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules management by competencies.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Business Architecture processes?
– How can you measure Business Architecture in a systematic way?
Supply-Chain Operations Reference Critical Criteria:
Confer over Supply-Chain Operations Reference outcomes and catalog what business benefits will Supply-Chain Operations Reference goals deliver if achieved.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Business Architecture strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business Architecture?
– What are internal and external Business Architecture relations?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Track TM Forum tasks and research ways can we become the TM Forum company that would put us out of business.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Business Architecture leaders?
– How to Secure Business Architecture?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Infer The Open Group strategies and slay a dragon.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Business Architecture product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Who needs to know about Business Architecture ?
– What will drive Business Architecture change?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect The Open Group Architecture Framework projects and catalog The Open Group Architecture Framework activities.
– Consider your own Business Architecture project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Value Stream Critical Criteria:
Graph Value Stream governance and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Value Stream projects.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Business Architecture leader?
View model Critical Criteria:
Judge View model management and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of View model.
– What are the disruptive Business Architecture technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Zachman Framework Critical Criteria:
Study Zachman Framework goals and get the big picture.
– How do enterprise architects use the Zachman Framework?
– Are there Business Architecture problems defined?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Enterprise Business Architecture Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business Architecture External links:
TOGAF® Business Architecture: Business Capability …
bacoe.org – Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Architectural domain External links:
Real Experiences and Architectural Domain-Driven …
Best practice External links:
Best Practices – Independence Title
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
ALTA – Best Practices
Business Motivation Model External links:
The Business Motivation Model (Standards)
BRG: Business Motivation Model
[PDF]Business Motivation Model The Business …
Business Process Framework External links:
eTOM Business Process Framework – Interfacing
[PDF]Siebel Business Process Framework: Workflow Guide
What is the Business Process Framework? – YouTube
Business Process Management External links:
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Workflow Software, Business Process Management …
Business Process Management Software – Capterra
Business Process Modeling Notation External links:
What is Business Process Modeling Notation | Lucidchart
Business architect External links:
Business Architect Essentials | Pega Academy
Business Architect Essentials | Pega Academy
Business model External links:
Plan to Start – Example of a Business Model
Business Model – Investopedia
Business Model Templates for PowerPoint – …
Business strategy External links:
Business Strategy Quiz 1 Flashcards | Quizlet
What Is a Transnational Business Strategy? | Chron.com
A Definition of Business Strategy – Business intelligence
Capability management in business External links:
Capability management in business – topics.revolvy.com
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Capability management in business
Commercial off-the-shelf External links:
[PPT]COMMERCIAL OFF-THE-SHELF (COTS)
Commercial off-the-Shelf (COTS) – AcqNotes
What is Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS)? – Definition …
Decision Model and Notation External links:
What is Decision Model and Notation – DMN?
[PDF]Decision Model and Notation (DMN) Specification 1
Enterprise architecture External links:
Zachman International – Enterprise Architecture
Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) | The White House
Enterprise Architecture – CDT Services
Enterprise architecture framework External links:
TOGAF as an Enterprise Architecture Framework
Gerrit Versteeg External links:
Gerrit Versteeg Profiles | Facebook
Gerrit Versteeg, father of 1 – Ancestry
Model Driven Architecture External links:
Model Driven Architecture | Udemy
An Evaluation of Model Driven Architecture (MDA) Tools
MDA – Model Driven Architecture – YouTube
Object Management Group External links:
Object Management Group Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Object Management Group – YouTube
Object Management Group – Home | Facebook
Open standard External links:
The Final Reel | 2017 World Open Standard | DanceSport Total
2018 WDSF International Open Standard Finale – Jesi – …
Open Standard/Open Source Flashcards | Quizlet
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules External links:
Semantics Of Business Vocabulary And Rules (SBVR) – …
Supply-Chain Operations Reference External links:
[PDF]Supply-Chain Operations Reference-model
[PDF]Supply-Chain Operations Reference Discussion
Supply-chain operations reference – YouTube
TM Forum External links:
Home – TM Forum Inform
Home | TM Forum Digital Transformation ME
TM Forum Frameworx – YouTube
The Open Group External links:
The Open Group :: Pearson VUE
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) – Core Concepts
FACE HOME | The Open Group
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
[PDF]The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) …
The Open Group Architecture Framework Version 8.1.1
[PDF]The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) …
Value Stream External links:
What is Value Stream Mapping? | LeanKit
Value Stream – The Lean Entrepreneur The Lean Entrepreneur
What is a Value Stream? – Cogent Management Resources
View model External links:
[PDF]FAUCET PARTS – EXPLODED VIEW Model: K-59 – …
My View model position for CS:GO – Steam Community
Pine View Model United Nations
Zachman Framework External links:
Zachman Framework For Enterprise Architecture – …
About the Zachman Framework
Zachman Framework Flashcards | Quizlet