What is involved in Operational Excellence
Find out what the related areas are that Operational Excellence connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Operational Excellence thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Operational Excellence journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Operational Excellence leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Operational Excellence related domains to cover and 44 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Operational Excellence, Management fad, Organizational intelligence, Organizational leadership, Performance metric, Scientific Management, Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence, Six Sigma, Sustainable, The Toyota Way, Toyota Production System:
Operational Excellence Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Operational Excellence governance and change contexts.
– Is Operational Excellence Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How do enterprise systems help businesses achieve operational excellence?
– Who sets the Operational Excellence standards?
– How much does Operational Excellence help?
Management fad Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Management fad issues and look for lots of ideas.
– Consider your own Operational Excellence project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Organizational intelligence Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Organizational intelligence quality and assess and formulate effective operational and Organizational intelligence strategies.
– Think about the people you identified for your Operational Excellence project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Operational Excellence that make it risky?
– Is the scope of Operational Excellence defined?
Organizational leadership Critical Criteria:
Derive from Organizational leadership adoptions and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Organizational leadership projects.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Operational Excellence study?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Operational Excellence effort?
Performance metric Critical Criteria:
Frame Performance metric outcomes and oversee Performance metric management by competencies.
– Can we add value to the current Operational Excellence decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– How can you negotiate Operational Excellence successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Does Operational Excellence analysis show the relationships among important Operational Excellence factors?
– Have you defined IT risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported?
Scientific Management Critical Criteria:
Talk about Scientific Management projects and look at it backwards.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Operational Excellence strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Why is Operational Excellence important for you now?
– How can skill-level changes improve Operational Excellence?
Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence Critical Criteria:
Grade Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence visions and devote time assessing Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence and its risk.
– What vendors make products that address the Operational Excellence needs?
– How do we go about Securing Operational Excellence?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Study Six Sigma governance and gather Six Sigma models .
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Operational Excellence process?
– How important is Operational Excellence to the user organizations mission?
– How is lean six sigma different from TOGAF architecture?
Sustainable Critical Criteria:
Gauge Sustainable governance and look at the big picture.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Operational Excellence is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Operational Excellence leader?
– Which of my customers have the potential for a high-profit, sustainable relationship?
– What are internal and external Operational Excellence relations?
– What is the firms sustainable growth rate?
– Is small scale independence sustainable?
– Are the activities sustainable?
The Toyota Way Critical Criteria:
Test The Toyota Way quality and question.
– What are our needs in relation to Operational Excellence skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who will provide the final approval of Operational Excellence deliverables?
– Have all basic functions of Operational Excellence been defined?
Toyota Production System Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Toyota Production System strategies and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Among the Operational Excellence product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is there any existing Operational Excellence governance structure?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Operational Excellence Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Operational Excellence External links:
Operational Excellence – Flevy.com
Management fad External links:
Is / Was Six Sigma a management fad? – Updated 2017
Six Sigma…a Stupid Management Fad? | NC State …
Organizational intelligence External links:
CompetencyIQ | Organizational Intelligence
Productivity Metrics and Organizational Intelligence
Institutional Research as Organizational Intelligence – ERIC
Organizational leadership External links:
Organizational Leadership Doctoral Program | University …
Organizational Leadership – Excelsior College – excelsior.edu
Management & Organizational Leadership – MOL
Scientific Management External links:
Skills Training Programs | Scientific Management Techniques
scientific management Flashcards | Quizlet
Taylorism | scientific management system | Britannica.com
Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence External links:
[PDF]The Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence – ICBE
Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence – WOW.com
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma | Greenville Technical College
Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification – GoLeanSixSigma…
Sustainable External links:
Sustainable Facilities Tool – Official Site
Woods Hill Table – Organic | Sustainable | Thoughtful
The Toyota Way External links:
The Toyota Way – SlideShare
Run your startup the Toyota way | TechCrunch
Leading in the Toyota Way | Nguyễn Chi – Academia.edu
Toyota Production System External links:
Lean Six Sigma and the Toyota Production System
The Toyota Production System – YouTube
Toyota Production System (TPS) Terminology